phpBB3 to ModphpBB3 1.0.5 Conversion Instructions

Having trouble installing ModphpBB3 - Post any questions or issues in here.
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

phpBB3 to ModphpBB3 1.0.5 Conversion Instructions

Post by LDM »

OK This is to convert phpBB3 to ModphpBB3 1.0.5 version.

This has been tested and looks to work without problems, but I may have missed something so report any errors in this thread and will do my best to help.

I am copying and pasting some of SEWELL's TOPIC HERE for 1.0.4 so if you do get any errors, please read that older thread first.

If these instructions have helped you, please consider donating to the server funds of ModphpBB3, by clicking that old trusty papypal button.

Ok..

Please note: I or this site cannot take responsibility if you attempt it and it goes wrong. I think I have covered all instructions on how I did it, so this is your responsibility.

First and foremost, BACK UP YOUR FULL FORUM FILES AND DATABASE SQL before attempting this. If it goes wrong, you can just re-upload your forum and run the sql to put your forum back exactly how it was.

Step 1. Back up your site and database tables.

Step 2. Login into your forum as admin, and go into ACP.

Step 3. Download ModphpBB3 1.0.5 from the downloads on the main site.

Step 4. Unzip and overwrite files from ModphpBB over your old forum files. All except the config.php

Please note: If you have edited your prosilver and subsilver styles, this will overwrite any changes.

Within the zip I attach a few things you need to do. So download that and unzip to your computer.

Step 5. Upload these 4 folders to your root of forum: install_arcade, install_gallery,install_wwh and install.
Now in another window or tab of your browser (remember you should still be in your acp on one tab or window)
Open these files:

http://www.Yourforumdomain/(a subdirectory if you have one)/install_arcade/index.php
Then install that as a fresh install
http://www.Yourforumdomain/(a subdirectory if you have one)/install_gallery/install.php
http://www.Yourforumdomain/(a subdirectory if you have one)/install_wwh/install.php
http://www.Yourforumdomain/(a subdirectory if you have one)/install/cf_install.php

These will install into your database. When you have followed that, delete those 4 folders.

Now upload /ads folder overwriting the current one installed on the server. You do not need to delete this after.

Now in the root, upload add_bots.php and call it from your browser "yourforum/add_bots.php". Delete that file after it has uploaded.

Step 6. Now open/enter your phpmyadmin, and import upgrade.sql into your phpbb3 database. You could just copy the text in that sql and run as an sql command.

Step 7. With your ftp client, open cache folder on your ModphpBB and delete all the files in there exept the .htaccess file.

Step 8. Remember you are still in ACP? Now purge the cache in there, and go to styles, and refresh all templates, themes and imagesets on prosilver and subsilver.

Step 9. You must delete your browser cookies and cache, so your browser doesn't still pick up the former session on the default phpBB3 session and Just for safety, 'delete all cookies set by this board' at the bottom of your index page.

Step 10. You may have to add the modules as you would a modification within the administration control panel, which is just a case of selecting the mod from the dropdown. Please for now, look in Sewell's old thread for modules to add, and I will update that part tomorrow as there are now a few more.

If you went totally wrong, remember you still have all the old forum backup and sql file :good:

Note: This is for just a forum convertion, I will look into adding the portal one seperate in the next day or two. For now, you can just add Board 3 Portal as a mod once you have converted.

I may update this first post as errors are reported so new members don't have to read the entire thread here to fix things.

Attachment Zip Re-uploaded 22/07/09 with thanks to teh1337Bitty
phpBB3_to_ModphpBB3_1_0_5.zip
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Portal Version

To convert to the Portal version, follow the steps above but use the zip in the downloads here for the portal version instead.

Follow all the steps above but when you add the install folders, also add and run the one attached below.
Unzip, upload and access yourforum/install_portal/install.php

Portal Version Re-upload to follow!

Remember to still follow all the steps above. The only difference is the files uploaded and the extra install folder.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
themandimi
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: phpBB3 to ModphpBB3 1.0.5 Conversion Instructions

Post by themandimi »

will there also be upgrade possibility's?
nascarnut
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by nascarnut »

I am waiting patiently for this.
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LDM »

:D I know. I was meant to be converting a members forum this weekend and was going to to paste down everything I done and add it as a post, but they never came back to me.

I will get the instructions on soon. I was hoping to test it on a live forum as opposed to actually just doing it to get instructions down clearer.
themandimi wrote:will there also be upgrade possibility's?
Really you should be updating your mods as you would adding them seperately. At least the gallery, arcade and definitely the phpBB version. I will get the stock phpBB3 to ModphpBB3 1.0.5 instrucs on first, then have a look to see what needs to be done to update from 1.0.4.
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LDM »

Have just converted a board so instructions coming soon, sometime before the end of week.
nascarnut
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by nascarnut »

Looking forward to this. This will give me a project to do this weekend.
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LDM »

Will be posting in the next few hours :good:
fikse
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by fikse »

LDM wrote:Will be posting in the next few hours :good:
Really looking forward to this one :D
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LDM »

Will be looking more like the morning now unless I get a few minutes later to post up.
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LDM »

First post updated to convert to 1.0.5 forum version.
fikse
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by fikse »

LDM wrote:First post updated to convert to 1.0.5 forum version.
Thanks alot for this! Ill give it a try, and give feedback. Ive one question:
Ive a clean phpBB3 forum, and want to use your complete portal. I see you make a note that this conversion is only for the forum version.
I must admit that I dont understand how to do this.
Should I convert from phpBB3 to ModphpBB as you describe here (looks straightforward and simple), and then what? Can I just overwrite the now converted forum with the files for the portal, and thats it? No touch of database?
I have tried STF, but didnt succeed.

Thanks alot for your excellent work. Much appreciated!

--
Bent, Norway
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LDM »

I will update the first post now with converting to Board3Portal version. :good:
nascarnut
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by nascarnut »

Well I gave it a go. Ran into some problems though with this:

Open these files:

http://www.Yourforumdomain/(a subdirectory if you have one)/install_arcade/install.php
http://www.Yourforumdomain/(a subdirectory if you have one)/install_gallery/install.php
http://www.Yourforumdomain/(a subdirectory if you have one)/install_wwh/install.php
http://www.Yourforumdomain/(a subdirectory if you have one)/install/cf_install.php

For the arcade one There is noe install.php. There is a install_install.php in there and that is the one I tried and I just get a blank page.

For the gallery I get this error:
Fatal error: Cannot redeclare split_sql_file() (previously declared in /home7/theoutdo/public_html/forum/install_gallery/install_functions.php:97) in /home7/theoutdo/public_html/forum/includes/functions_install.php on line 519

For the wwh I get this error:
Fatal error: Cannot redeclare split_sql_file() (previously declared in /home7/theoutdo/public_html/forum/install_wwh/install.php:28) in /home7/theoutdo/public_html/forum/includes/functions_install.php on line 519

And for the install it worked
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LDM »

Thanks mate I will have another look at the download.

So what have you installed and what is left?
nascarnut
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by nascarnut »

After those errors I went ahead and did the add_bot and that didn't give me any errors and then I thought I better stop and see what you thought about the errors