phpBB3 to ModphpBB3 1.0.5 Conversion Instructions

Having trouble installing ModphpBB3 - Post any questions or issues in here.
uk_martin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: phpBB3 to ModphpBB3 1.0.5 Conversion Instructions

Post by uk_martin »

I wasn't encountering the errors when running queries as such. They occurred when clicking on the "Board Index" link, either in the main menu or in the link in the top right of the ACP.

It came down to 3 or 4 tables that the Index.php checks for, not being in the database, which I'd have thought that the upgrade db schema would have put in there. But anyway, as I had a similar database from a fresh install, I was able to cut/paste these db tables across in myPHP to solve the issue.

It's all part of the game I suppose....still I've now got the users converted across, the images in the gallery, and the posts/threads are in the forums, and on with further modification to get this onto a like-for-like footing with the existing phpbb2 forum that I want this to replace.

My next task is in converting /inserting some BBcode that the old forum used that is embedded in the syntax, that I need this new BB to recognise...

Oh, and is there any way that the "Welcome Message"section of the forum can be made to parse HTML tags as well as BBcode please?

Thanks

Martin
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LDM »

Welcome message? Do you mean the announcements or in Board 3's welcome part? I don't think there is the option for html.
uk_martin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by uk_martin »

Yeah, that's the one...the HTML option not being there is a big drawback.

I'm still struggling with getting enough BBCode alignment options to work correctly to replace the HTML that the old phpbb2 board welcome message had.
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LDM »

Really, I thought that announcement mod was quite good the way BBCode can be entered into it. You could always add an image with the text and graphics if not.

As far as conversion goes, I did one last night for a member and the instructions seem fine.
Converted from phpBB3 via the install on first page: http://forum.skool.com

Although I can accept maybe some servers are set up a lot different and there could be errors on some running the install scripts.
uk_martin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by uk_martin »

I've got my BBCode for the image alignment sorted out now. It needed the BBCode to look for the "float" style to enable the script to wrap around the image, so all is now well.

There's a border around the image at the moment which I don't want there, but I assume that this is a CSS issue, so when I get round to creating a theme for the site, I'll address that issue then.
teh1337Bitty
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by teh1337Bitty »

Converted successfully, thanks LDM! :D
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LDM »

Good stuff Mr.Bitty, glad it helped!
Londonms
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Londonms »

thanks man.
thesalmonator
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by thesalmonator »

Ok, well I've had some problems (I'm using the portal version of 1.0.5). Up to step five is fine... then once I get to step five, there are none of those folders in what I downloaded. There is also not add_bots.php file. Step 6, I have a file called modded.sql, but no file called upgrade.sql, so I imported the one that I had. Step 7 was fine, but then when I get to step 8 the real problem happens. When I try to purge the cache (or just log onto the forum board) it takes me to the login page. It seems that somewhere along the way, all of the user accounts, posts, settings etc have been deleted. I can restore my old forum, and that works fine, but I have tried this process several times and I get the same result - user accounts, posts, and settings deleted. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, it could be something fairly obvious, but I would appreciate any help I can get, as I would prefer not to have to just clean install ModphpBB3 and thus have none of the accounts, posts and settings for me to have to set up again. If you need to have a look at the board, it is at

Code: Select all

http://salmonator.com/forum
though I may try some more things to get it to work, so it may not be in the clean state if you check.

Thanks, Sam.
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LDM »

Hello Sam

It sounds like you have just used the normal zip file in downloads. There was actually a converter zip on the first post here, but with help of a phpBB bug on attachments it has now disappeared from the topic.

I will try to get hold of the zip files again as not too sure if I still have them on the HD.
thesalmonator
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by thesalmonator »

Thanks, that would help a lot :)
tris
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by tris »

LDM wrote:Hello Sam

It sounds like you have just used the normal zip file in downloads. There was actually a converter zip on the first post here, but with help of a phpBB bug on attachments it has now disappeared from the topic.

I will try to get hold of the zip files again as not too sure if I still have them on the HD.
any luck in finding this file? would kind of need it or would it work the other way round importing old data onto the new sql database? :beg:
tris
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by tris »

Hey guys

Assuming this file isn't available, any ideas what I can do because I can't just re-start the forum because we currently have over 4500 posts and 64 members
I would really like to use this and I don't have the technical skill to add the mods myself :beg:
thephoneguy
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by thephoneguy »

Similar situation
3k users
10k posts
No way to do it all by hand :P
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LDM »

With huge thanks to teh1337Bitty, converting zip file re-uploaded to first post. Portal zip to follow soon.