modphpbb3 3.0.6 - any upgrade instructions - for PORTAL too

Having trouble installing ModphpBB3 - Post any questions or issues in here.
kcider
Forum Member
Forum Member

modphpbb3 3.0.6 - any upgrade instructions - for PORTAL too

Post by kcider »

Hi,

It would be nice if some user(s) could put together some simple step by step instructions for upgrading to the latest version of modphpbb3.

I actually want the Portal version - so obviously i'll have to wait a little longer for that.

Reading the Phpbb main site it sort of suggest that upgraing with their files will need the mods to be reapplied again afterwards, which sort of defeats the purpose of using modphpbb3.

It would be great if we could just install the full modphpbb3 files and then run a series of database update files, but life isn't that simple?

Cheers
Alan
8.4% is the best
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: modphpbb3 3.0.6 - any upgrade instructions - for PORTAL too

Post by LDM »

kcider wrote:
Reading the Phpbb main site it sort of suggest that upgraing with their files will need the mods to be reapplied again afterwards, which sort of defeats the purpose of using modphpbb3.
Nothing defeats the purpose of installing a phpBB forum with many key mods already installed.

If you run a phpBB forum, users would be expected to upgrade (if they want the latest fixes applied etc) to the latest phpBB version. If you run ModphpBB3, you can still do that via the normal route of automatic upgrade from the phpBB package (though I agree if zero mods are installed, you can just overwrite files)

Having mods reapplied after upgrade is not strictly true at all? The only mod that I can think that would need upgrading would be the contact mod as it has use of the new captcha settings. I have many mods here and can't think of one that was of any significant change on the 3.0.5 to 3.0.6 upgrade. Although many mod authors may make small changes to take it to a 3.0.6 version, it doesn't mean to say that they will no longer run on a 3.0.6 version.

If you are running ModphpBB3 1.0.5, the absolute easiest thing to do is forget about ModphpBB3 1.0.6 and just upgrade phpBB version via auto file merge within their package, add a board3portal and the front page add-ons in a topic here.. Done.

ModphpBB3 was totally restarted on 1.0.6 version and would just be a nightmare to try and upgrade with. It would be much easier to just add the changes.
kcider
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by kcider »

Well I did it!!!

I've updated phpbb to 3.0.6. I used the automatic method and eveything seems OK at the moment.

I just followed the instructions, it seemed keen to merge things into the modded files. There were a few that were listed as 'conflicted' but I just took the default settings, and a set of patched files were then downloaded, for me to FTP back up to my site.

The automatic install happily checked/updated the database and checked files until it was happy to say 'all done'. - all OK with no significant problems.

I noticed the gallery was due for an update too - so I even applied their new files and run the 'install-update', again all went well with no problems - so I am quite happy now. :grin:

Cheers
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LDM »

Well done mate, good work, it seems more daunting than it actually is! (the majority of the time anyway)