upgrade possible?

Having trouble installing ModphpBB3 - Post any questions or issues in here.
highlander44
Forum Member
Forum Member

upgrade possible?

Post by highlander44 »

Hi we are using a previous version of the moddedphpbb and have now installed the latest build on a test area. Is it at all possible to upgrade the old board, mainly to keep the users and posts? we are not really bothered about losing any other settings, it would just make life so much easier if we could at least transfer that.

Any advice would be greatly appriasiated.
spiderpig2503
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: upgrade possible?

Post by spiderpig2503 »

unfortunetly due to the different features on the new board you can not transfer user data or posts without getting sql errors. I tried out of curiosity. Youd have to recreate everything and get members to re-regester
uk_martin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by uk_martin »

I think that not being able to upgrade is very disappointing. I for one converted from phpbb2 to Modpnpbb3 1.5 (I think) - based on phpbb 3.04. It now means that I am 3+ versions out of date with phpbb3 and becoming increasingly vulnerable to any discovered security flaws, without any chance of doing anything about it. To put all the users through a re-registration process all over again seems just wrong. What have they done to be put through having to jump through extra hoops?

I think that even if upgrades can't be made, some form of security patches should be made available for anyone on "legacy" versions of ModphpBB3 so that we are no less at risk from hackers / phishers / spammers than anyone else in phpbb 3.07PL+ land.

OK, so a "secured" Modphpbb3 v1.5 won't have as many bells and whistles as a brand new Modphpbb v1.6, but at least our sites will be secure.

M
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LDM »

Unfortunately Martin, every board and every script will have that issue, even Windows needs regular updates.

The difference with phpBB is that it isn't an automatic thing that runs in background updating the version. You need to physically go to the board and update (via phpBB's auto upgrader package which now is pretty much flawless even on heavily modded boards)

There (as I believe) should still be no real risks in any of the older mods on older versions of ModphpBB3 package. The only thing of possible exploit would be running an out of date phpBB version and that doesn't affect ModphpBB3 as a general download package. Every phpBB forum, whether vanilla or a heavily modded board should always update the phpBB version. I would expect folk running ModphpBB3 whether it be the first version back in January 2008 to the latest, to be updating their phpBB version as and when, as you would running a vanilla phpBB.

The latest ModphpBB3 version wasn't re-started because we couldn't update the phpBB version on (then) the current package. It was re-started because some of the mods had been abandoned by the authors.

I have been on a site running a ModphpBB3 install from 2008 and has just been updating the phpBB version as they go along and it runs fine with no issues. There really wouldn't be an easy way at all of releasing a phpBB update package with an in-built ModphpBB3 mod updater, it would be near impossible.
uk_martin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by uk_martin »

I wish that the phpbb updater package was as flawless as you suggest, but I've just tried the 3.04 to 3.07PL package, which updates the database just fine, then identifies about 100 files with conflicts, for which none of the code merging or overwriting options work...I just get an error to say that the code mergers didn't take place, and I'm left then with 3.04 files and a 3.07PL database - in other words a broken board.

If you've got any of the other incremental upgrade packages, so that I can go step by step from 3.04 to 3.05, then from 3.05 to 3.06 etc, I'd be happy to download them and give that a try, so see if that makes a difference, but sadly these aren't on the main phpbb site.
microlabart
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by microlabart »

this might be off topic..but is it too much to ask to simply put some light one one of my questions ? I have opened whole topic here to just update a board thats phpbb3 and wanting to get it converted to modphpbb3..

but LDM wont even pay a bit of crap for attention to it? whys this..shouldn't hurt to give us some hope then non. never mind. if u know how to help me then help me is you dont say otherwise, but for heavens sakes dont waste anyone's time then.

end of rant..

appreciate everything you have done, the work u put into this but this is just bullcrap.
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LDM »

I have just replied to one of your posts with a simple answer. I don't answer pm's with support questions that can be posted in the forum and eventually got round to. Two people run this site and package at the moment, me and cisco, we both have jobs, children and other commitments so sometimes posts and topics don't get replied to as quick as you would like them to be.

Martin, what errors did you get. It is always really best to update the phpBB version one by one as they get released, but that's too late in the day now. Is this still your test board you are working on?