Help!! Please.

Having trouble installing ModphpBB3 - Post any questions or issues in here.
Minxy
Forum Member
Forum Member

Help!! Please.

Post by Minxy »

Hi all! I've been battling for days with some mods on a forum, and stumbled across Modphpbb3, fantastic, some lovely person(s) have done the work for me.

Have downloaded, uploaded, edited, imported everything, but what now?

One thing, we have a "front page" thing that we knocked up, just as a pointer to us, would that stop Modphpbb3 working?

Any help gratefully accepted, my waist length hair is getting shorter by the minute! :D
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Help!! Please.

Post by LDM »

:o Waist length hair!!

The front page wouldn't stop it working, but probably best search engine wise to have the forum as the front site instead of a splash page.

Was it a fresh install or did they just add files and import to your current forum?
Minxy
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Minxy »

Yes, waist length lol!

Ok, we already have a phpbb3 board, which has been running ok, but trying to install mods is beyond us.

I created a new database for Modphpbb3, imported the modded.sql to it. I've edited the config.php, saved it and then I uploaded the lot to htdocs on my web hosting.

Then, it says to type in your domain name, and login via default name and password.

That just takes me to our homepage.

I've a feeling I've missed a step out somewhere, but my head's bashed now lol!
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LDM »

Did you overwrite the files that were already within your forum, if you did, scream!

If you are setting up a ModphpBB3 install to run alongside initially, you need to put all the files in the 'upload' into a new directory on the server. So go into httpdocs, create new, name it, then change the config file to point to that directory.
Minxy
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Minxy »

Nope, phpBB3 is in it's own folder, I didn't dare go near it, just in case we ended up with no board at all lol!

The tree looks like this...

htdocs/modphpbb3 1.0.6_Portal, I uploaded the entire folder into it's own place.

And the config has the database details in it. Have I mucked that up? I'll go and look lol!
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LDM »

Yea best to create say /testforum and just upload all the files in the upload folder, straight to that directory, and test it that way.
Minxy
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Minxy »

Right, have set the laptop on uploading to a new directory, love it when the broadband drops it's connection midway!

Thanks for your patience.
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LDM »

It will work fine when uploaded but as it stands there isn't an easy conversion option for 'already running' phpBB boards yet. Hopefully that will be soon.
Minxy
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Minxy »

We're quite a small forum so far, so moving stuff around isn't a hassle, I hope.

Right, well the upload folder is uploaded to Testforum, I've checked the config.php, it'd lost the localhost bit, so have put that back, so here goes!

And nothing! :shock:
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LDM »

Make sure you are changing the two fields in config to the database you imported the modded.sql to. That no doubt will be the problem. Oh and remember to upload the saved config file.
Minxy
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Minxy »

I've done that. If I type in my web address I get the front page, if I type in the web address with /testforum after it, I get a 404 /testforum not found on this server.

I know it's something stupid, I just can't see it! aarrggghh!
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LDM »

yea something is wrong, either with the files or the tables within the database are not set-up right.
Minxy
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Minxy »

Well it's changed to a 403 Forbidden now lol!

I've uploaded everything with WISEFTP as I know the Mac can scramble stuff, I use Wise on my laptop.
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LDM »

That will show if something isn't set right. I am guessing the config details are wrong OR the import.sql hasn't been imported into database yet.
Minxy
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Minxy »

import.sql, is that the modded.sql?

Tell you what I've net seen in the downloaded folder when I've unzipped it, any install files!