phpBB3 to ModphpBB3 Instructions For 1.0.3/4 Version

Having trouble installing ModphpBB3 - Post any questions or issues in here.
Sewell
Forum Member
Forum Member

phpBB3 to ModphpBB3 Instructions For 1.0.3/4 Version

Post by Sewell »

If you are looking at converting your board from default phpBB3 to ModphpBB3, here are my own instructions on how I did it.

Please note: I or this site cannot take responsibility if you attempt it and it goes wrong. I think I have covered all instructions on how I did it, so this is your responsibility.

First and foremost, BACK UP YOUR FULL FORUM FILES AND DATABASE SQL before attempting this. If it goes wrong, you can just re-upload your forum and run the sql to put your forum back exactly how it was.

Step 1. Back up your site and database tables.

Step 2. Login into your forum as admin, and go into ACP.

Step 3. Download ModphpBB3 1.0.4 from the downloads on the main site.

Step 4. Unzip and overwrite files from ModphpBB over your old forum files. All except the config.php

Please note: If you have edited your prosilver and subsilver styles, this will overwrite any changes.

Within the zip I attach are 4 things you need to do. So download that and unzip to your computer.

Step 5. Upload these 3 folders to your root of forum: arcade_install, install_gallery and install_wwh.
Now in another window or tab of your browser (remember you should still be in your acp on one tab or window)
Open these files:

http://www.Yourforumdomain/(a subdirectory if you have one)/arcade_install/install.php
Then install that as a fresh install
http://www.Yourforumdomain/(a subdirectory if you have one)/install_gallery/install.php
Then install that as a fresh install
http://www.Yourforumdomain/(a subdirectory if you have one)/install_wwh/install.php

These will install into your database. When you have followed that, delete those 3 folders.

Step 6. Now open/enter your phpmyadmin, and import upgrade.sql into your phpbb3 database. You could just copy the text in that sql and run as an sql command.

Step 7. With your ftp client, open cache folder on your ModphpBB and delete all the files in there exept the .htaccess file.

Step 8. Remember you are still in ACP? Now purge the cache in there, and go to styles, and refresh all templates, themes and imagesets on prosilver and subsilver.

Step 9. You must delete your browser cookies and cache, so your browser doesn't still pick up the former session on the default phpBB3 session and Just for safety, 'delete all cookies set by this board' at the bottom of your index page.

Step 10. You may have to add the modules as you would a modification within the administration control panel, which is just a case of selecting the mod from the dropdown. I didn't need to do that, so you may be already see the settings in admin.

Any problems, post in this thread.

If you went totally wrong, remember you still have all the old forum backup and sql file ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sewell
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: phpBB3 to ModphpBB3 Instructions

Post by Sewell »

FAO admin, would it be possible for this to be a sticky and feel free to edit any of those details above if you see anything that needs adding.

Thanks
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LDM »

Well done for this Sewell, consider it stickied!

Have always wanted to get a tutorial written in here but have been mad busy lately!
Carbarul
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Carbarul »

Hi,

In order to install modphpBB3 I upgraded my board from phpBB2 to phpBB3, I used the built in converter and it seemed to work but when I try to access the boards I get this error:

Information

Sorry but this board is currently unavailable.

Please note that I havent even started to install modphpBB3, I only moved from phpBB2 to 3.

Any advice?
andyp99
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by andyp99 »

brilliant,thank you,gonna try it :D

ps if i had other styles on my original board as well as prosilver and subsilver2
will i need to uninstall them first before starting the conversion?
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LDM »

Carbarul wrote:Hi,

In order to install modphpBB3 I upgraded my board from phpBB2 to phpBB3, I used the built in converter and it seemed to work but when I try to access the boards I get this error:

Information

Sorry but this board is currently unavailable.

Please note that I havent even started to install modphpBB3, I only moved from phpBB2 to 3.

Any advice?
Sounds like the board is in offline mode, check board settings in your admin panel. Any conversion from 2 to 3 questions, either put in phpBB category or ask on phpbb.com.
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LDM »

andyp99 wrote:brilliant,thank you,gonna try it :D

ps if i had other styles on my original board as well as prosilver and subsilver2
will i need to uninstall them first before starting the conversion?
It would be best to, as those themes won't be edited for ModphpBB3 anyway. Make prosilver default before doing the conversion. There are some edited themes for ModphpBB3 in the downloads you can add when converted.
Carbarul
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Carbarul »

When I run the following step:

http://www.Yourforumdomain/(a subdirectory if you have one)/chat_install.php

I get this message:

you did not select a mode

Any idea why?
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LDM »

Are you logged in as admin? What is the url of the forum?
Carbarul
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Carbarul »

LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LDM »

So you have put the chat_install.php file in the forum root, and trying to open

http://wasteland506.com/foro/chat_install.php
Carbarul
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Carbarul »

Yes, i did that, just like inthe instructions, but i got the message.
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LDM »

Make sure you are logged in as admin, then purge cache, then try it again. I just tried the url, and it was asking me for a login.
Carbarul
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Carbarul »

No luck yet, i purged the cache and tried again, im still getting the same message.
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LDM »

Is there a dropdown menu to select mysql on the page?