RSS News Tickers

Post any general problems, information or issues on ModphpBB3 in here.
uk_martin
Forum Member
Forum Member

RSS News Tickers

Post by uk_martin »

Hi

Is anyone aware of any RSS News "Tickers" which can fit into blocks on the modphpbb3 Portal?

As an example of what I'm trying to replicate, have a look at the News and Sport Tickers in the bottom left hand corner on my portal page - www.brummiesfans.com

Hopefully the RSS will allow for RSS feed extensions which end in (as an example) .... http://www.birminghamspeedway.co.uk/ext ... php?news.3[/b]

The BBC feeds end in a simple .../rss.xml, which the script on my old phpBB2 site could cope with. It could even cope with feeds that ended in .../rss.php but as soon as the "?news.3" extension was added, it "broke". It's for that reason that there is no news ticking along in the top/centre block.

I'm hoping that the new tickers that I want to include on my 2009 site will work with all RSS news feed types.

Thanks
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: RSS News Tickers

Post by LDM »

There are RSS blocks for board3portal about, but remember you can always create your own custom blocks easily?

(Very striking colours on one of the sites there :D )
uk_martin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by uk_martin »

I'd love to find out where to find some that work!

All the RSS MODS that I seem to find are those that create a feed from the forum for the benefit of the outside world. What I want is for 3 blocks on the Portal to display other people's RSS feeds, in a nice scrolling manner - one horizontally in the centre column, and two blocks to scroll vertically in the left column.

If worst comes to worst, then having widgets in "static" blocks will have to do, but ideally a "proper" MOD that is configurable in the ACP wit controls over (e.g.) what feed goes into which block etc would be nice.

I mean...if something like this - http://www.phpbb2.de/rlink/rlink.php?ur ... roller.htm could be turned into a "proper" phpBB MOD, with blocks for the Portal (instead of having horrible i-frames), then that would be problem over. However, I may need to implement something like this as an interim measure.

Martin
tris
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by tris »

uk_martin wrote:I'd love to find out where to find some that work!

All the RSS MODS that I seem to find are those that create a feed from the forum for the benefit of the outside world. What I want is for 3 blocks on the Portal to display other people's RSS feeds, in a nice scrolling manner - one horizontally in the centre column, and two blocks to scroll vertically in the left column.

If worst comes to worst, then having widgets in "static" blocks will have to do, but ideally a "proper" MOD that is configurable in the ACP wit controls over (e.g.) what feed goes into which block etc would be nice.

I mean...if something like this - http://www.phpbb2.de/rlink/rlink.php?ur ... roller.htm could be turned into a "proper" phpBB MOD, with blocks for the Portal (instead of having horrible i-frames), then that would be problem over. However, I may need to implement something like this as an interim measure.

Martin
Hi I'm looking to do something like this, what I'm after is something like this http://www.thechicane.co.uk/news/
(which is taken from my current site)
as a block in the centre with those 3 feeds,

Any help would be appreciated as using the portal is new to me and am just deciding if I want to use it or not
uk_martin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by uk_martin »

In the end what I did was to download and install "CoffeeCup RSS News Flash"

It's a free bit of kit that allows you to create a Flash applet that you then just embed into your site as you would any other Flash app.