Some users cant upload avatars

Post any general problems, information or issues on ModphpBB3 in here.
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Some users cant upload avatars

Post by LDM »

No the update will be through your browser via a file on the server. There should be a database_update.php file in the download.
fikse
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by fikse »

LDM wrote:No the update will be through your browser via a file on the server. There should be a database_update.php file in the download.
Nope. No database_update.php in the zip. Just three folders (language, prosilver, subsilver2), and a textfile in each (phpbb-3.0.3_to_3.0.4 something .txt) :cray:
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LDM »

Unzip, add install folder to server (making sure you are logged in as admin before uplaod) then go to yourdomain/install/database_update.php

I am sure it will say it is already done but may add something if your tables are missing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fikse
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by fikse »

result.png
Done. Thanks alot for a step-by-step explanation, everything worked as a charm. See attached. Will test, and give feedback.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fikse
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by fikse »

Damn. Same problem still. If you would search for yourself, I could ask the owner of the domain, if I could give you the user/pw to the controlpanel/files/db?

Anyway, Im very pleased with your help. Its just perfect :D
fikse
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by fikse »

Huh. Some users report that animated GIF avatars that didnt upload before, now goes OK. So something good has happened :D
But still, its some it just wount accept. I attach some examples, the OKs are uploaded OK, the attach we get the error message. Ive tried all these avatars on this forum, and they work fine all of them. As you see its no consistence. Some animated GIFs goes OK, some not. Some not animated GIFs goes OK, some not. Some JPG goes OK, some not. The avatar upload function work as supposed regarding filesize, pixels, etc, its only this "attach" message who is stopping us...
fikse
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by fikse »

It seems like it was no easy solution for this, and its not the most important bug to fix, I think we just close this down for the moment. The few of our users who cant upload their avatar, will be offered the possibilty to upload it on a remote server. For the most of our users, they have avatars that is OK.
LDM, thanks alot for your excellent help :D
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LDM »

Sorry fikse, I had forgotten all about this and the reply today made me see your other posts.

I did see a topic on phpBB with a fix at the end which is up to you if you wanted to add HERE

It is a strange error as it only seems to affect some running an identical installation to others.
fikse
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by fikse »

Hmm, good! I have searched alot for this issue, but not found any working solution. And you found it easy like this? You must have magic fingers :shock: :grin:

Thanks alot, again
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LDM »

It seems to be something affected more to the phpBB as opposed to a modification conflict. Strange it only seems to affect some forums and not others. Anyway, see how you get on with it.
GameViews
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by GameViews »

Sorry to revive an old thread but I had/have this problem. By having the user also manually fill in the avatars dimension sizes eg: 80x80 - below the upload button ... they could upload .gif and .jpg files without problem.
fikse
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by fikse »

Sounds interesting. Thanks for the tip :D
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LDM »

Cheers Gameviews, that actually makes a lot of sense as the upload would see an image without any size if the fields were left blank and so probably bringing up the attack message. I will have a look to see if it's listed on the phpBB bug tracker.
GameViews
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by GameViews »

I think actually the problem is with imagemagick not being installed or configured to an improper path. Hence... the software not automatically figuring out the dimensions of the uploaded image, causing you to manually enter the dimensions of the image. I havent produced the debug info for this for lack of time, but as LDM said.. it makes sense.
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LDM »

That would also explain why it only affects some phpBB installations and not others.