Adding Chat

General topics relating to phpBB3 to be posted in here.
robmeister
Forum Member
Forum Member

Adding Chat

Post by robmeister »

Could anyone tell me if I can add chat to my phpbb3 site simply? I have a code from a free chat site but do not know were to place it....

thanks
Robmeister :hello:
Ashley
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Adding Chat

Post by Ashley »

One of the most common chat for phpbb3 is this Ajax chat. It is quite easy to add and creates a full chat room within your site.
cisco007
Staff
Staff

Post by cisco007 »

that is a good chat system, but unless you know how to edit code, it doesn't have a built in link to go back to you forum. :cry:
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LDM »

cisco, why not just have the chat link opening in a new tab/window. That way the forum is still always open while chat is active. You could even put the chat in an iframe like this site has by creating a new chat page.

robmeister, for a simplistic chatroom, you could always use Handymans chat and run is as a seperate page alike ModphpBB3 set-up. I always found it a little bulky to use on the index page of the forum but looks great as a separate chat function like here.
cisco007
Staff
Staff

Post by cisco007 »

cisco, why not just have the chat link opening in a new tab/window. That way the forum is still always open while chat is active. You could even put the chat in an iframe like this site has by creating a new chat page.
yeah well I am not that good with php codes, that's why I said it! I suck at it! :cray:
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LDM »

In overall_header.html, look for the 'chat' link in the menu and just add a target="_blank" after the ahref="link"
johnd
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by johnd »

if you have problems still then pm me and i will come sort it out for you.If you wanna do it yrself and not sure with code then use external link eg

Code: Select all

shoutboxes.com
and is easy for you to integrate into yr own site but the ajax version mentioned above is far superior.
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LDM »

I've just installed that ajax chat up on the link in Ashley's post. I haven't really seen or tested it, so thought I would add it here and test it out.

I've seen it before but haven't really looked at the code or functions and am so far impressed.

I didn't know you could also use it as a shoutbox too.
service2u
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by service2u »

Hi

You can also use Flashchat

I use it on PHPBB3,

Regards
spiritguide
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by spiritguide »

EASY?????????? Yeah Right lol NOT so :beg: :beg: :beg: :grin: we been tryin for ages now to integrate chat into our phpbb3 forum lol. Its given us some laughs trying to do it but its flippin hard!
Were not happy with the chatroom we have, so still on the look out for another better one!

I would like to use a flash chat room, do u have to pay for one of these? :hello: :write: :amen:
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LDM »

The actual script 'flashchat' is $5 but the phpBB mods are free.

What are you having trouble installing, what chat option?
BenjyB
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by BenjyB »

AJAX chat = awesomesauce. Many thanks to the author, setup was an absolute breeze, even linked to the existing user accounts in the database with no extra work after running install script! Excellent mod, kudos :)
Chase21
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Chase21 »

Yeah,i'm agree.It's a good idea.The chat it's really cool.):good:
Friday
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Friday »

service2u wrote:Hi

You can also use Flashchat

I use it on PHPBB3,

Regards

you mean 123flashchat? is it as good as the others said? i'd like to change my chat software and get a new & good one to add to my phpbb, i searching this kind of software all the time, but still don't know which one to use.

Your advice will be appreciated. Thank you!
Friday
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Friday »

LDM wrote:The actual script 'flashchat' is $5 but the phpBB mods are free.

What are you having trouble installing, what chat option?
where can i find this? thank you!