Customising ProSilver

Current styles for phpBB3 edited for use on ModphpBB3.
uk_martin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Customising ProSilver

Post by uk_martin »

As everything seems to work in ProSilver, I'd like to see if it can be edited, in not too dissimilar way as the theme on this site has been done. My "minds eye" visualisation is attached. It will need a few modifications with borders with rounded corners, etc, table background images, etc, and hopefully the secret to rotating images in the header and footer.

I'll be happy to do the spanner work myself if a few pointers and steers along the way can be given over which template / config / css file controls which bit of the job. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Martin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Customising ProSilver

Post by LDM »

The first step would be to add the borders. I can help with that, but you would need to grab some transparent borders as you are having a black background. I am sure they are kicking around on phpbb.com (maybe in prosilver SE thread) It would then just be a case of making prosilver fixed width with borders and changing the colours within colours.css.
uk_martin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by uk_martin »

Thanks for the reply

prosilver_se stuff downloaded and ready to deploy lol

"contrib/border.psd" looks like fun. Good job everyone has Photoshop eh? I guess that's where I need to make the yellow bit of the outer border is it? OK, I'll get onto that, and look forward to seeing what is is that I need to do with them later.

Cheers

Martin
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LDM »

I would actually say, if you are not copying the mod edits over to it, just use prosilver standard and mod that with the borders and then work on the colours. You can get prosilver looking like SE very easily.
uk_martin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by uk_martin »

LDM wrote:I would actually say, if you are not copying the mod edits over to it, just use prosilver standard and mod that with the borders and then work on the colours. You can get prosilver looking like SE very easily.
Yeah, that was pretty much my intention, the only thing though is to find out which file does what. And how. I suspect overall header and overall footer files are a good place to start. Are there any other files that need tweaking?
uk_martin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by uk_martin »

OK, back on track after a million and one distractions.

OK, now to do a bit of sorting out loose ends. The first ones that spring to mind are:

1) The Welcome block in the portal needs sorting out. I want all the blocks in the Portal to resemble the style of the Latest Images Gallery Block and also the Latest Global Announcements Block.

2) The icon for the Gallery (the one that looks like an eye) somehow has disappeared. What is the path to where that icon sits and what is needed to direct the header to it?

3) What is it that controls the column widths in the Portal?

Finally, which one of the lots of CSS files is the one that determines the page background colour?

Thanks

Martin
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LDM »

Sorry Martin, only just seen your other post from before here.

You still tweaking that? Boy, thats taking some time! :)
uk_martin wrote:OK, back on track after a million and one distractions.

OK, now to do a bit of sorting out loose ends. The first ones that spring to mind are:

1) The Welcome block in the portal needs sorting out. I want all the blocks in the Portal to resemble the style of the Latest Images Gallery Block and also the Latest Global Announcements Block.

2) The icon for the Gallery (the one that looks like an eye) somehow has disappeared. What is the path to where that icon sits and what is needed to direct the header to it?

3) What is it that controls the column widths in the Portal?

Finally, which one of the lots of CSS files is the one that determines the page background colour?

Thanks

Martin
For 1) Have you got a link or screens for an example?

For 2) My one is based in the style/theme/images/icon_gallery.gif

For 3) I believe there is a setting with the portal ACP though that can also be changed in the file, may have to look into what file it is if you have no luck with the ACP setting.

Lastly, the colours are set in theme/colours.css
uk_martin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by uk_martin »

OK, making progress..."Welcome Block" issue sorted out... and I've found out how to get all the blocks looking the way that I want them to...now just to go through them all to re-style them lol.

Could do with finding that column width control though...
uk_martin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by uk_martin »

LDM wrote:Sorry Martin, only just seen your other post from before here.

You still tweaking that? Boy, thats taking some time! :)
Yeah, sorry, but "real life" stuff gets in the way...double glazing, decorating, gardens etc etc...not to mention following the team around the country on their away travels...

But anyway, back on track again...'til I get derailed again lol
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LDM »

:D Yea, I can't talk, I'm trying to finish 3 sites have been working on for a while now.

To change box widths, have a look in portal settings..
portalwidth.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
uk_martin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by uk_martin »

LDM wrote: For 1) Have you got a link or screens for an example?
Column widths - http://www.brummiesfans.com/main/
Missing icon - http://www.brummiesfans.com/main/index.php
LDM wrote: For 2) My one is based in the style/theme/images/icon_gallery.gif
I will check when I get home if it's there. If not can it be attached to download?
LDM wrote: For 3) I believe there is a setting with the portal ACP though that can also be changed in the file, may have to look into what file it is if you have no luck with the ACP setting.
Found it, thanks...although I think I may need to cut down on some of the padding in the Portal blocks...
LDM wrote: Lastly, the colours are set in theme/colours.css
Thanks. Is there any valid CSS for scrollbars these days? I hear that scrollbar colouring died a death with IE7+
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LDM »

Ah I can see what the problem is..

Prosilver SE inherits from prosilver so you need to tweak it slightly. There is some code missing from the overall footer which makes up the border.

Also, you need to add the gallery icon within the imageset file (best way is to compare the files from prosilver using winmerge) and possibly copy the image over to the SE imageset/images folder.
uk_martin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by uk_martin »

Well, I've sorted out the rounded footer corners, but blow me down with a feather if I can find why those little Gallery and Download icons aren't showing. The server says that the files are there now but the header doesn't even seem to be keeping a space for them.

ANYWAY, that's just a temporary issue (I hope) as I think I'd prefer a header like the one on this site. The menubar will be a carry-over from my original site, so that will be good. Rotating header graphics would be cool too. I could rattle some image files off in Photoshop. Is there much more to it than a swap over of the overall_header file? If there are no other dependent files that need working on, what I'd like to do is to somehow combine the rotating graphic header, the menubar and the "info bars" with the rounded corners in ProSilver SE

Would that be possible?
uk_martin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by uk_martin »

LDM wrote: To change box widths, have a look in portal settings..
I'm already down to 150, but I think that there is more than enough padding in the cells. Which CSS controls the padding in the block tables?

Thanks
uk_martin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by uk_martin »

There's a weekend ahead and I'm hoping for a bit of quality time to spend getting the style on my site a step or two nearer the target.

How will the overall_header and overall_footer need to be amended to give the menu bar and rotating masthead graphics?

Thanks

Martin