Should Members Be Able To Edit/Delete Their Posts?

General topics relating to phpBB3 to be posted in here.
SeanFace101
Forum Member
Forum Member

Should Members Be Able To Edit/Delete Their Posts?

Post by SeanFace101 »

Hey..
I have a xbox forum & im not sure weither i should allow my members to be able to edit and/or delete their posts.
What have you got set on your forum?
Whats your thought on allowing editing & deleting posts by members?
VoxPopuli
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Should Members Be Able To Edit/Delete Their Posts?

Post by VoxPopuli »

Editing is fine. Set it up so they can edit their posts within xxx minutes or hours. NEVER allow them to delete their posts. It will mess up your SEO and search engines. Only YOU or a Moderator you assign whom is trusted should be able to delete posts. Even then, you need to be careful.

This is MHO.
SeanFace101
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by SeanFace101 »

Currently i have it so my members cant edit or delete their posts.
I have 2 groups on my forum "XLF Reviewers" & "Forum Welcomers". These members help out on the forum & they can edit & delete their posts. But im thinking about making it so no one can delete posts, but everything can edit them upto to 30 minutes after posting then no more.

As well as members being able to post allowed content, then go back a while later and change it to spam content.. I dont like the idea of a member posting a thread, then after getting replies to it, change it to say differant text to make it look as if the members replied on that instead of the thread which was there before the edit.
VoxPopuli
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by VoxPopuli »

You asked. I replied. It's what I do on my board an have no issues. I can point to 3 boards right now that allow it.
SeanFace101
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by SeanFace101 »

VoxPopuli wrote:You asked. I replied. It's what I do on my board an have no issues. I can point to 3 boards right now that allow it.
What are you meaning?
:S :P
cisco007
Staff
Staff

Post by cisco007 »

my board being one of them, i also only allow them to edit, but not delete their post, i also have a anti-double post mod, so if no one as posted after them, instead of allowing them to post another post, it just adds it to the previous post. as owner you shouldn't allow people to delete posts, just in case they post something awful, or picks on someone and if they are allowed to delete it, you, the forum admin, or a moderator, will have no clue, that it happened so you will not be able to do anything about it, or take the proper action!
VoxPopuli
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by VoxPopuli »

SeanFace101 wrote:
VoxPopuli wrote:You asked. I replied. It's what I do on my board an have no issues. I can point to 3 boards right now that allow it.
What are you meaning?
:S :P
No reason to get cranky. You asked for opinions and that's what you got.

Cisco is right. I moderate on one of his boards. My comment was not meant to be condescending, just factual.

Sorry if it hurt your feelings. :hello:
SeanFace101
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by SeanFace101 »

Cool :P
I reckon ill have..
- Never let members delete
- Limited editing time period for members
VoxPopuli
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by VoxPopuli »

Just thought of something. I DO allow my users to delete their posts but they only have 15 minutes to do so. Once the post is up for 15 minutes, it remains. They can edit their post over a 4 hour period (I think that is what I have set up).

I run a MOD that will not allow a user to PERMANENTLY delete their posts, ever. Their deleted posts go into a hidden trash bin that only I or my Moderators can see. If we feel the delete was uncalled for, we can, with the click of a check box, restore their post to the proper forum or we can permanently delete it. The users have no control over what happens when they delete.
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LDM »

I think the best way is to have a time limit on edit 15min - 1 hour. If you have a much longer time, it could cause trouble. I co-run a forum where we had no edit time limit. This caused a member to come back in to his original posts a month or so later and changed all his posts to a link to his website. We only realised when reading an older post once(obviously like a lot of members will do).

As for allowing deletion of posts, that is something I am well against. If someone wants to be silly on your forum after getting upset about something, they could just go round deleting their posts, and ultimately, making your forum look terrible and not making sense where posts or topic starter posts are missing.
VoxPopuli
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by VoxPopuli »

I also use a MOD or a Snippet for:
If a user edits their post, it appears as an unread post and I'm notified. Quick fix.

But yes, 15 minutes is plenty of time to edit.
SeanFace101
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by SeanFace101 »

Reason For Not Allowing Editing After Certain Time Limit:
For example.. Say you have a forum with doesnt allow posting of certain links to certains websites, lets say "adult sites". So i could make a thread on your forum posting something which you allow to be posted. Then after a while, i come back to your forum, go to that post, then change it completely to advertise the "adult site". If you have a busy forum, the post which has been edited could be pages back into your forum & less likely to be spotted of an admin or mod. This me getting my "adult site" advertised on your forum which i could have done if there was No Editing or Editing Was Timed.

I could also make a thread on your forum, after another member repling on that thread, i could change the text in my post that started the thread to make it look like that other member posted a reply on something else other than what that member was really posting on.

Reason For Not Allowing Editing After Certain Time Limit:
You could also lose any good SEO that page gives your website/forum.
If that page has good Rank, etc.. A member could ruin that with deleting their post.

Also, if a member decides for some reason or another, they could delete every post they have in proberly not alot of time. These posts could be popular topics on your forum & they will be all gone.
VoxPopuli wrote:I run a MOD that will not allow a user to PERMANENTLY delete their posts, ever. Their deleted posts go into a hidden trash bin that only I or my Moderators can see. If we feel the delete was uncalled for, we can, with the click of a check box, restore their post to the proper forum or we can permanently delete it. The users have no control over what happens when they delete.
What MOD is that?
I like the sound of that.
Member can delete their posts, but there not really deleted they just like hidden.
VoxPopuli
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by VoxPopuli »

prime_trash_bin_1_1_1 at .com. or at his site http://www.absoluteanime.com/admin/mods.htm#trash_bin.

As of the editing, as I said, I use a MOD that if a post is edited, it shows as unread and you see right away what is going on by looking at the post. I'd say if you get 150-200+ posts a day, I would not allow editing by no means. But a small board, 2-25 posts a day, not a big deal.
SeanFace101
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by SeanFace101 »

VoxPopuli wrote:prime_trash_bin_1_1_1 at .com. or at his site http://www.absoluteanime.com/admin/mods.htm#trash_bin.

As of the editing, as I said, I use a MOD that if a post is edited, it shows as unread and you see right away what is going on by looking at the post. I'd say if you get 150-200+ posts a day, I would not allow editing by no means. But a small board, 2-25 posts a day, not a big deal.
Thanks for the link :D
When you say you use a MOD that if a post is edited, it shows as unread.
Is that the Trash Bin MOD that does that also? or is it another MOD that does that?
VoxPopuli
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by VoxPopuli »

It's a different MOD (actually a snippet. It's only one edit and works with 3.0.10.. :grin:

http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/m ... _as_unread