WYSIWYG Editor

General topics relating to phpBB3 to be posted in here.
uk_martin
Forum Member
Forum Member

WYSIWYG Editor

Post by uk_martin »

Does anyone have any ideas as to which the best WYSIWYG editor is for phpBB3, and how easy it is to install? I have seen references to "MSSTI's Advanced BBCcode" and also to something called "Hot Editor"

I have one in my phpBB2 site, and it's so much more user-friendly to have something that resembles a familiar interface, and also one that allows for "image-right" and "image-left" insertions as well as allowing tables to be created etc.

I look forward to hearing what's available. Maybe it's also something that can be considered for the next version of ModphpBB?
uk_martin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: WYSIWYG Editor

Post by uk_martin »

uk_martin wrote:Does anyone have any ideas as to which the best WYSIWYG editor is for phpBB3, and how easy it is to install? I have seen references to "MSSTI's Advanced BBCcode" and also to something called "Hot Editor"

I have one in my phpBB2 site, and it's so much more user-friendly to have something that resembles a familiar interface, and also one that allows for "image-right" and "image-left" insertions as well as allowing tables to be created etc.

I look forward to hearing what's available. Maybe it's also something that can be considered for the next version of ModphpBB?
I forgot to mention the options of TinyMCE (looks fantastic, but can something that complex be easy to install?) and also FCKeditor.
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LDM »

There are a few options. There was advanced bbcode box which was ported over from phpBB2. I ran that on a phpBB2 sometime back for ages and was brilliant, but I believe the ported version for 3 may be buggy or abandoned as haven't seen much talk on it lately so I could be wrong.

phpBB.com is down so can't double check but I'm sure there will be an alternative that will suit your board.
uk_martin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by uk_martin »

Yeah, a bit of a pain phpBB being down, but at least what their problem has gaven me the incentive to upgrade my own phpList version.

When it is back, it may be worth looking at the integration of TinyMCE (http://tinymce.moxiecode.com), as that little WYSIWYG editor looks like the dogs biscuits.
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LDM »

Yea get that phpList updated, phpBB didn't originally take the time :D

I'm sure there is a TinyMCE mod for it, their site will be back shortly no doubt.
GirlieGirl
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by GirlieGirl »

I use Dreamweaver and sometimes NuSpherePhpED.
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LDM »

He means actually built into phpBB posting GG ;)
GirlieGirl
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by GirlieGirl »

Oh :P
uk_martin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by uk_martin »

LDM wrote:He means actually built into phpBB posting GG ;)
Yeah, if you look at the TimyMCE site, this little bit of kit looks like a "must have" MOD.

Who knows, it may even find its way to future modphpbb3 releases??? ;)
uk_martin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by uk_martin »

I've just installed the TinyMCE MOD, and very nice it looks too. Kind of like having a Word Interface. It still needs some configuration, and then I'll be happy with it. It also toggles between itself and the standard set of buttons, so that's a nice bonus, esp for those who don't like using a lot of JavaScript.

Anyway, in installing this and needing to go onto the posting.php page, what I noticed is that I keep getting JavaScript errors in the Status Bar. After Tiny MCE has fully loaded, in fact right at the end of the page loading process, the Status Bar shows "Done", then after a short pause, it says "Waiting for about:blank", and then moves on to just the yellow error triangle with "Done" by the side of it.

Double clicking on that warning triangle, the explanation given states:

Code: Select all

Line 51
Char 3
Error: Can't move focus to the control because it is invisible, not enabled, or of a type that does not accept the focus.
Code 0

http://www.brummiesfans.com/test/posting.php?mode=post&f=2

Any idea what is causing this, and what the cure for it is?
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LDM »

The best bet would be have a look at the support thread on phpbb.com. I haven't had a look at that mod yet so can't really comment on it. Chances are, someone has had the same and would have posted it in the thread there, which could mean going through 30 pages or so :D