Frustrated

Having trouble installing ModphpBB3 - Post any questions or issues in here.
Carbarul
Forum Member
Forum Member

Frustrated

Post by Carbarul »

Hi everyone,

I´ve been trying to install modphpBB3 for my online music community since last night, but I´ve been unsuccesful in all of my attempts *sigh* I installed phpBB3 manually in my web server and then I installed modphpBB3 but I still dont know how to make them work together.

Also, I wanted to know if I can recover my old users, threads and topics from my previous phpBB2 forum.

Please help a noob with no php or Mysql knowledge.

Cheers.
Sewell
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Frustrated

Post by Sewell »

I am going to post my instructions to convert from phpbb3 to ModphpBB3 version.

What you will need to do first is convert from your phpbb2 to the latest phpbb3 version, it has a built in converter so all is easy for that.

REMEMBER to totally back up your files and database sql before converting ANYTHING, so if you go wrong, you can just reinstall old forum as was.

I will post my phpBB3 to ModphpBB3 instructions at sometime very soon.
Carbarul
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Carbarul »

Thank god, because I think i really messed up my site, fortunately I made a full back up of it before ruining anything.

If you could post your instructions Asap that would be great sxince I only have time during weekends.

Thank you!
Sewell
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Sewell »

Have you actually converted to 3 yet, you will need to do that before running ModphpBB3?

I will get the instructions up very soon, have been meaning to do it for sometime now. It's not too easy, but then it's not totally impossible.
Carbarul
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Carbarul »

Sewell wrote:Have you actually converted to 3 yet, you will need to do that before running ModphpBB3?

I will get the instructions up very soon, have been meaning to do it for sometime now. It's not too easy, but then it's not totally impossible.

No, I jut got ri of my phpbb2 installation and installed phpbb3
Sewell
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Sewell »

hmm, so you didn't convert and lost all your posts and members?
Carbarul
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Carbarul »

Sewell wrote:hmm, so you didn't convert and lost all your posts and members?

I didnt convert, but i made a full back up of my site before doing anything, does that help?
Sewell
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Sewell »

phpBB3 has a built in converter to convert from phpbb2 boards, if you install, then after hit Convert on the install file it will copy all you members and posts into your new phpbb3 installation.
Carbarul
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Carbarul »

Ok, but how do i do that, i have a gzip file with my old site, but thats all theres is
Sewell
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Sewell »

On the basic zip phpBB3 package, there is an install folder along with the files. Make a new folder called phpbb3 or something, upload the full files and folders, install phpbb3 into that folder, then open up the install file again, and next to the install tab there is a convert tab, follow instructions there. You will need to specify where phpbb2 is installed and the database, then it will convert all the posts from there to your new phpbb3 install.
When you are happy it all works on phpbb3, logins, posts, etc, move the phpbb3 into the root of the domain.

Remember to back up your phpbb2 in case it goes wrong.
Carbarul
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Carbarul »

Ok, so i just noticed that my phpbb2 database was deleted from my site, i have it in the back up though, how do i restore it so i can conver it.
Sewell
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Sewell »

Bigdump if it's a large sql is the best way. Your best bet would be to gain help on phpBB.com for this sort of thing.