web file editing programs

General topics relating to phpBB3 to be posted in here.
Bergovoy
Forum Member
Forum Member

web file editing programs

Post by Bergovoy »

hello,

is there a program/utility to ftp to sites, and edit files, 'on the fly' and then resave them on the server?

Currently i am ftp to the server, copy the file to my pc, openthe file in dreamweaver or notepad, edit it and resave it with teh same name, then rename the file on my server, then upload the file to the server and see if it works...

am i doing it right???  
is there a better way to do it.

I am using dreamweaver, but for somereason, i have no way to see how my edits affect the website or if they are done wrong...

thanks

b
GirlieGirl
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: web file editing programs

Post by GirlieGirl »

I use Dreamweaver too and except for you colors and such in CSS you dont see your changes until you ftp to server.
I personally dont know of any software where you can edit on the server. But you can do that with your styles right in your Admin panel. Theres an editor there, and you can change your buttons, icons, etc.
Bergovoy
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Bergovoy »

actually, that is one of the things I am trying to do is edit the menu in the upper right corner...

it says, faq, downloads, members, etc, on this site...

I have different buttons, not sure why, but i want to edit them, add or subtract, and or change the link location...

that plusi just want to learn more and have learned quite a lot this last week...

php here i come!!!!
cisco007
Staff
Staff

Post by cisco007 »

I personally use ultraedit, it's got it's on ftp built on it so you can connect to your server, get the file you need edit it, save a backup on your pc if you want and then upload it again to your server. It works pretty good for me! :D
GirlieGirl
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by GirlieGirl »

Ultraedit is good but you can ftp through Dreamweaver too. :D
Bergovoy
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Bergovoy »

i am guessing one of the things I am missing, is to install a 'server' onto my desktop pc...

or i wont be able to see what it is I am doing until i upload it to the server...

I am having a heck of a time installing iis... keep getting errors like it cant find files on the cd... seems to be a common problem and the 'fixes' are bogus, i have been working on it for about 4 hours now... cant install files as it looks for them on the cd....

ugggh

wouldnt think installing a program would this hard... especially from ms

hmmm
GirlieGirl
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by GirlieGirl »

Bergovoy wrote:i am guessing one of the things I am missing, is to install a 'server' onto my desktop pc...

or i wont be able to see what it is I am doing until i upload it to the server...

I am having a heck of a time installing iis... keep getting errors like it cant find files on the cd... seems to be a common problem and the 'fixes' are bogus, i have been working on it for about 4 hours now... cant install files as it looks for them on the cd....

ugggh

wouldnt think installing a program would this hard... especially from ms

hmmm
Umm no, you dont have to install a server on your computer. You can only see your changes once uploaded.
What are you installing? If its microsoft it sucks.
I went to the site you have listed in your profle but nothing was there.
If you need help just PM me and Ill see what I can do.